After a couple of tries we finally have the perfect hummus recipe for you! It's silky, smooth and super flavorful. Just some extra steps and a few tips to make it perfect. That doesn't mean it's hard to make at all. Spread it on your toast, dip some veggies in it or add it to a soup.
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (if you’re using canned chickpeas)
- ¼ cup lemon juice (from 1 ½ to 2 lemons), more to taste
- 1 medium-to-large clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice water, more as needed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Neolea olive oil
- Place the chickpeas in a medium saucepan and add the baking soda. Cover the chickpeas by several inches of water, then bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Continue boiling, reducing heat if necessary to prevent overflow, for about 20 minutes, or until the chickpeas look bloated, their skins are falling off, and they’re quite soft. In a fine-mesh strainer, drain the chickpeas and run cool water over them for about 30 seconds. Set aside (no need to peel the chickpeas for this recipe!).
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or high-powered blender, combine the lemon juice, garlic and salt. Process until the garlic is very finely chopped, then let the mixture rest so the garlic flavor can mellow, ideally 10 minutes or longer.
- Add the tahini to the food processor and blend until the mixture is thick and creamy, stopping to scrape down any tahini stuck to the sides and bottom of the processor as necessary.
- While running the food processor, drizzle in 2 tablespoons ice water. Scrape down the food processor, and blend until the mixture is ultra smooth, pale and creamy. (If your tahini was extra-thick to begin with, you might need to add 1 to 2 tablespoons more ice water.)
- Add the cumin and the drained, over-cooked chickpeas to the food processor. While blending, drizzle in the olive oil. Blend until the mixture is super smooth, scraping down the sides of the processor as necessary, about 2 minutes. Add more ice water by the tablespoon if necessary to achieve a super creamy texture.
- Taste, and adjust as necessary—I almost always add another ¼ teaspoon salt for more overall flavor and another tablespoon of lemon juice for extra zing.
- Scrape the hummus into a serving bowl or platter, and use a spoon to create nice swooshes on top. Top with garnishes of your choice, and serve. Leftover hummus keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
I had the privilege of visiting the store, in person, a couple years ago. I am addicted to their oil and am now a repeat customer. It is so worth importing and gets to the States faster than Amazon!
My favorite olive oil comes now in this handy smaller size. The taste is great as always and this size is the perfect gift-size. Delivery was quick
Out of this world taste, absolutely the highest quality olive oil I've had. Tried many different ones before but I will stay with Neolea for sure!
Levering, verpakking en product meer dan goed. Culinair hoogstandje.
Ziet er strak uit en nog belangrijker het is erg lekker.
Alles is top! Levering, verpakking en smaak!
Apart zachte aromatische smaak, heerlijk
Smaak, verpakking en levering is TOP.
So delicious, highly recommend!
Such sweet tasty olive oil... bottles your Corfiot holiday and brings it to your home ... delicious with fresh bread and salt and pepper or with vinegar and in your favourite salads.