- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to finish
1 tbsp salted butter
1 kg carrots, peeled and cut into 2 cm thick slices
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 clove garlic, finely grated
2 tsp harissa paste
30 g of shelled and roasted pistachios
salt and black pepper to taste
- Small bunch of coriander, stalks removed, leaves picked
- Toasted pita to serve
1. Melt the olive oil and butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and cook for 6 minutes, stirring often; they need to soften and caramelise slightly. Add 200 ml of water, turn down the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for another 25 minutes, until the carrots are completely soft and there is hardly any liquid left. They should be browning around the edges.
2. Transfer the carrots to a food processor, add salt and pepper to taste, and blitz briefly to form a coarse paste. Add the lemon juice and zest, garlic and harissa and blend until the mixture resembles a dip but still has some structure to it.
3. Transfer the carrot dip to a bowl, drizzle generously with olive oil, top with coriander and pistachios. Serve with toasted pita.
If you want to see a step by step guide, you can also visit our Instagram feed and see how Sophie and Xenia (Rocket & Basil) prepared this dip. We hope you will enjoy this yummy recipe as much as we do. Happy cooking!